NEXT/UPCOMING DISCUSSION GROUP TOPIC/S:
Janaury 26, 2017 - "Connections between Racism, White Privilege and Fascism".
Theresa McCormick leads a discussion group prior to each WSDW luncheon meeting. The topics vary and are determined by the group at the immediately past discussion group. It is a discussion group that welcomes anyone to learn or share things they’ve learned related to the subject in question.
IMMEDIATE PAST DISCUSSION GROUP REPORT
January 26, 2017 - "Ideas for becoming an Activist"
A special “Thanks” goes to Lynne Ingalls for summarizing last month’s discussion.
A Baker’s Dozen of Great Ideas for Immediately Becoming an Activist!
- WRITE A LETTER to your elected officials. Tell them what you want done or not done. Letter writing counts.
An example of such an issue would be supporting Senator Elizabeth Warren’s request for auditing President Trump’s finances for conflicts of interest. In this case you make the request by emailing two administrators in the Government Accountability Office…Katherine Siggerud (email@example.com) and Timothy Minnelli (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Subject line: Audit for President Trump’s financial concerns
Dear Ms. Siggerud and Mr. Minnelli,
I’m writing in support of Senator Elizabeth Warren’s interest in an audit of President Trump’s finances, to prohibit conflicts of interest that would prevent him from carrying out the responsibilities of the office without corrupt influence.
Sincerely (your name)
1A. CALL YOUR U.S. SENATORS–phone calls have immediate and personal effect through your live voice, when you tell them what you want them to fight for or against. The main Senate Switchboard number is (202) 224- 3121; they will connect you to whichever Senator you request, and it takes about 1.5 minutes to complete a call.
- JOIN & VOLUNTEER your time and skills for an activist, social, or political group such as the 34th Legislative District Democrats, Planned Parenthood, ACLU, West Seattle Neighbors for Peace and Social Justice, 350.org, Sightline, local progressive churches, synagogues, & mosques.
2A. BECOME A MEMBER OF A NATIONAL GROUP that is working to implement progressive change for all Americans, such as Social Security Works; Move to Amend or WAmend (in WA State); Sierra Club
- SUPPORT A COMMUNITY GROUP WITH BOTH TIME & $$, such as local religious/spiritual groups, food for kids programs, White Center Food Bank, West Seattle Food Bank, Mary’s Place, West Seattle Help Line, League of Women Voters, etc.
- JOIN GROUPS that are already WORKING TO IMPEACH TRUMP (i.e. ImpeachDonaldTrumpNow.org).
- SPREAD THE WORD about your activities — as well as activist opportunities you know about– to your friends, to non-political groups such as book clubs and hobby groups.
5A. ACTIVELY LEARN by attending and contributing to Meaningful Movies. They take place monthly here in West Seattle and consist of thoughtful, informative, inspiring, and eye-opening films all within a relaxed setting with your neighbors. (Admission is free, but donations are appreciated to help defray costs.)
- WORK TO IMPLEMENT MEDICARE: Contact AARP at https://act.aarp.org/supercommittee/ and tell them to pressure Congress to maintain and strengthen medicare. Add supporting and strengthening Social Security and Medicaid to your letters to Congress.
- SUPPORT LOCAL ELECTED OFFICIALS who are TAKING COURAGEOUS STANDS such as contacting Mayor Murray and telling him that you support his stand maintaining Seattle as a sanctuary city.
- SUPPORT the Freedom of the Press. Subscribe to AUTHENTIC NEWS SOURCES: Newspapers, such as The Seattle Times, The NY Times, The Washington Post; Journals, such as The Nation Magazine, Mother Jones, Atlantic; Public radio/TV, such as KUOW, KNKX, KBCS; KCTS-9, KBTC- 12. Reliable news sources that can be accessed online such as Amy Goodman’s Democracy Now!orFree Speech TV or Talk Media News. Ask your friends to read/listen to AND financially support these news sources. This action keeps investigative journalists employed and helps undermine “fake news” and “alternative facts”!!
- YOU DO TOO! Should Muslims be required to sign a registration list, add your name no matter what your religion is.
- WORK TO GET MORE LIBERAL, PROGRESSIVE LEADERS in the National Democratic party and in our local Democratic Party.
- SUPPORT LOCAL PROGRAMS THAT ADVOCATE FOR MUSLIMS & PEOPLE OF COLOR, such as one at Alki UCC, Hate-Free Delridge; Delridge Neighborhood Development Association; MAPS-AMEN
- MAKE EFFORTS TO REACH OUT to, involve, and inspire young people to become activists for social justice and progressive values.
- TELL PEOPLE WHERE YOU STAND by telling people what your positions are and invite conversations about keeping democracy vital.
Leader, WSDW Discussion Group
PAST DISCUSSION GROUP TOPICS:
- Gael Tarleton, State House Representative, Majority Floor Leader met with the discussion group and we asked her about the role and responsibilities of the Majority Floor Leader.
- Toxics/Toxins in our Environment and Effects on Health (e.g. lead in water, fracking, anti-wetting agents found in pizza boxes, coffee cups, etc.)
- The Environment/Climate Change
- School Funding Issues: Supreme Court Ruling; and Charter Schools