(Revised July 23, 2016)
WELCOME to the West Seattle Democratic Women’s website
…We’re always updating so come back often…
JULY MESSAGE FROM OUR CHAIR
Hope your summer is going well and that you are able to enjoy our balmy weather, if not the political antics of the season!
- Luncheon on July 28 at West Seattle Golf Course = The West Seattle Democratic Women are thrilled to welcome Tina Podlodowski (http://www.votersfortina.com/
), candidate for Secretary of State, as our speaker on Thursday, July 28, at the West Seattle Golf Course. Tina is a progressive Democrat and previous Seattle City Council member who believes that every eligible citizen should be able to register and vote without undue restraints on those rights. She will explain the importance of the office of Secretary of State, what she brings to the office and how you can help take back this office from Republican control where it has resided for decades.The pre-program discussion group starts at 10:30 am. Registration and letter writing starts at 11:15 with the lunch buffet at 11:30. Our program starts at about noon. Lunch, including beverage and dessert is $13.50 for members and $15.00 for non-members. A room charge of $5 includes beverage and dessert only. Please RSVP with Rachel Glass at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, July 24 if you plan to attend.
- Delridge Day August 13 – WSDW is one of the sponsors of Delridge Day, which is scheduled for Saturday, August 13 in Delridge Park, just north of the Delridge Community Center. The event, which has many family friendly activities, is scheduled from 11 am to 3 pm. Visit our booth where we will be rolling out our Climate Action campaign (AEC, pronounced “ace,” which stands for Awareness, Education and Climate Action). We will have a fun and politically directed activity for all. And if you are interested in volunteering, please let us know! An hour or two of time would spread the fun!
- WSDW Picnic August 25 at Lincoln Park Shelter 3 – Put it on your calendar and join in the fun in the sun (we expect) along the beautiful beach at Lincoln Park. We’ll provide the hot dogs and beverages; you bring a side dish (salad, dessert, etc.) to share. The event will last from 4 to 7 pm. Join us when you can. If you would like to assist with set-up or take-down, please let us know.
- Adopt a District – West Seattle is represented by great Democratic leaders. We need to support those leaders, but we know they need a strong Democratic legislature to do the best job possible. There are several “swing” districts close at hand where Democratic candidates could use some helping hands, particularly for doorbelling and making that personal contact with their constituents. WSDW members have expressed an interest in reaching out to those districts. We are working to coordinate with Les Treall, who is leading this effort for the 34th Legislative District Democrats, to identify a district to target over the next two weeks.Local districts that could use our help include the 30th (Federal Way, Auburn, etc.), 28th (western Pierce County), 44th (Snohomish County) and the 25th (Tacoma, Puyallup in central Pierce County), 5th (eastern King County). There may be others, but these are close and can use our help.Please contact Les at email@example.com to let him know of your interest as soon as possible. Be sure to tell him you are associated with the WSDW,
- Finally, it’s never too early to start collecting toiletries and small items for our holiday gift bag distribution. Bring them to any meeting and they will be stored until we are ready to put together those bags in December. The bags will be distributed to clients of the White Center Food Bank during the holidays.
Thank you for reading through this long list of activities. Please join us as we work to make our community stronger and better.
Ann Martin, Chair