(Revised June 28, 2015)
WELCOME to the West Seattle Democratic Women’s website……..
Upcoming Dates of Interest:
- July 23rd’s Meeting Subject: County Executive Dow Constantine (invited) speaks on Best Starts for Kids and social/economic/enviornmental justice. More info to come.
- August 27, 4-7 pm, Lincoln Park, Shelter 3 – WSDW Annual Potluck Picnic
In case you missed it – A report on Last Month’s Meeting:
Selden Prentice……spoke on the Fast Track and TPP et and “Where We Go From Here? Go to the “Meetings” page to see her Powerpoint presentation.
JULY’S LETTER FROM OUR CHAIR ANN:
Happy Fourth of July and a birth/rebirth of our nation. We have faced the pits of despair with the Charleston gun murder of nine prayer meeting participant based solely on their race. And we’ve been a witness to the Supreme Court upholding Obamacare (Affordable Care Act, ACA) and extending equal rights to the LGBT community. So, don’t send up fireworks (it’s way too dry for that), but celebrate the triumph of love over hate with your family and friends.
URGENT ACTION REQUIRED!!! WSDW encourages all its members, their friends, and any interested parties to join them in saying NO TO SHELL or ANY OTHER CORPORATION using Seattle as a staging ground for Arctic oil drilling. (More action opportunities to come!)
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING INFORMATION
Meetings are typically the 4th Thursday of the Month for lunch and located at the West Seattle Golf Course banquet room. A discussion group proceeds the meeting (10:30 – 11:15 am); all are welcomed. Evening meetings occur on the quarter months – March, June, September & December; the meeting begins at 6:00 pm.
Registration is from 11:30 – 11:45 am, Meal is served at 11:45 am, Program begins at 12:00 – 12:45 pm, Short Business Meeting/For the Good of the Order 12:45 – 1:00 pm.
Dinner is $13.50 for members, $15 for non members OR $5 for attending the program……Coffee, tea, and dessert are included.
SEE UPDATES FOR THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
APRIL’S STYLING FROM THE KOOK BROTHERS w/help from WSDW MEMBERS. See photos and words to some deeedlightful political parodies. (See Meetings Page)
SEE CHAIR ANN’S LETTER WITH UPDATE TO NEXT WEEK’S MEETING March 26th with the four women running for City Council Position 1. They’ll be asked “their decision to run, what, if any, are special challenges facing women who run for office, and other probings not tracked in other venues”. (See “Messages & Reports” Page)
SEE REPORT ON our February 26th meeting with Heidi Bennett whose presentation explains who, what and why of the McCleary Decision, the basic Education Bills and what’s up with education and funding in WA State. More information on Heidi, view her Powerpoint and link to her referrenced Rep. Reuven Carlyle (D-Seattle)’s YouTube discussion on WA State’s regressive tax system……(See “Meetings” Page)
NOTE WSUU’s illustrated talk on “The Lessons of Eleanor Roosevelt”…..(See “Member Sharings” Page)
SEE CHAIR ANN’S MARCH LETTER TO THE MEMBERSHIP highlighting Women’s History Month and Women’s Issues (See “Messages & Reports” Page)
NOTE UPDATED “Anti HT Legal/Legislative Effective” Page — Some say that workers in these third world countries don’t know any better. See what these young Norwegians learned.
Announcing DRINKING LIBERALLY WEST SEATTLE, a progressive social club began Tuesday, January 28th. It gives like-minded, left-leaning individuals a place to talk politics. You don’t need to be a policy expert and this isn’t a book club – just come and learn from peers, trade jokes, vent frustration and hang out in an environment where it’s not taboo to talk politics. It meets the first Tuesday of every month at 6 pm Pizzeria 22, College & California-Admiral District.
INFORMATION ON JOINING WSDW’s LISTSERV OF VOLUNTEERS AVAILABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN ANTI-HUMAN TRAFFICKING ADVOCACY COMING SHORTLY!!
MARK YOUR CALENDAR – (Go to Page indicated for more details)
- February 26th – WSDW Membership Mtg – Discussion Group Subject: “How Can We Get More People, Especially Young People, Involved In Politics?” – Meeting Program: The History and Ramifications of the McCleary (Public Educational Funding and Reform) Decision!March 12th – WSDW Board Mtg –
- March 26th – WSDW Membership Meeting – Discussion Group Subject: “Impact of District vs. City-wide Government” Meeting Program: “Running for Office — A Woman’s Perspective!”
- April 9th – WSDW Board Mtg –
- April 23rd – WSDW Membership EVENING Meeting – No Discussion Group – A particularly FUN Meeting Program: “Political Parody with the stylings of the “Kook Brothers” will lead and end an evening of political skewering.” Everyone is encouraged to participate! See Meetings for more detail
- November tbd, 2015 — 2015 Int’l Anti Human Trafficking Conference, UW Women’s Center Taskforce, U of Washington
Special CONGRATULATIONS to some of our WSDW members who were either elected or appointed to terms in other Democratic organizations……
KCDCC: Ann Martin, State Committeewoman
Marcee Stone-Vekich, Chair,
Karen Chilcutt, Treasurer,
Lisa Plymate, State Committeewoman
Martha Koester, King County Committeewoman
Tamsen Spengler, LAC Chair
Some “quickies” from November’s Membership Meeting:
- WSDW elects its 2015 officers:
- Chair: Ann Martin
- Vice Chair: Rachel Glass
- Secretary: Roberta Reed
- Treasurer: Mary Fisher
- Parliamentarian: Elizabeth Heath