WELCOME to the West Seattle Democratic Women’s website……..
MARK YOUR CALENDAR – (Go to Page indicated for more details)
- October 13th Anti-Human Trafficking Program-WS Senior Ctr-12:00-12:30pm (HT Awareness…)
- October 22nd Eve Mbrshp Mtg – Panel on Transportation (Meeting) Pls make special note of atypical R.S.V.P. tele nbr as Vice Chair Rachel will be hosting event!
- Need an Audio Election Pamphlet? Our Vice Chair Rachel is the female participant. Go to https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/osos/en/press_and_research/PreviousElections/2014/General-Election/Pages/voters_pamphlet_audio.aspx.
- 10/27/2014: Last day for in-person registration in order to vote in the General Election
- 11/4/2014: GENERAL ELECTION
- November 9th – Anti Human Trafficking Program – WSUU – 12:45 – 2:00pm (HT Awareness…)
- November 20th – WSDW Membership Mtg – Election of Officers, Election Recap, Discussion – potential programs for 2015 (Meeting)
- January 11th – Anti Human Trafficking Program, Peace Lutheran Church (HT Awareness…)
- January 22nd – WSDW Membership Mtg – Anti Human Trafficking Program (Meeting also HT Awareness…)
TAKE A LOOK AT Theresa’s recently published her memoir, A Far Cry From Here–Growing Up and Out of Fundamentalism. (Sharings)
Some “quickies” from October’s Membership Meeting (Meetings):
- Governing bodies do attempt to work together.
- Some projects are close to being completed.
- West Seattle’s 35th Avenue, in an attempt to curb speeding, will become one lane each way similar to Fauntleroy’s relatively new configuration.
- Next Discussion Group’s Topic (November’s Lunch Meeting) is to paraphrase “The Democrat’s Platform and What Should It Be!”
Message from our Chair – September, 2014
It’s Labor Day, can fall elections be far behind? It is hard to get excited about off year elections, but they are important and your vote is important too! It is important to search out information on the candidates and issues you will be asked to support (or oppose) during the next couple of months.
How do we decrease the influence of big money on our politics? Well, we could amend the US Constitution to limit the role of money in politics and government. Short of that, the most influential action you can take is be an informed voter and vote!
Going a step further (and I mean that literally), get out for your candidate or issue and doorbell. There is nothing – not money, TV advertising, print media – as effective as you talking neighbor to neighbor about what you believe is best for your community. Or, volunteer in other ways – phone banking, mailings, etc. All are important!
One way to inform yourself and become active in the local political dialog is to participate in the West Seattle Democratic Women. We have informative speakers on topics that need to be covered in depth, not in sound bites. And we talk among ourselves, sharing perspectives that come from years of diverse experiences. Your experiences are unique and we would love to hear how they shape your view of our community and the world.
Don’t worry about not wearing white after Labor Day. We are not out to change your style, but to change the world for the better!
Ann Martin, Chair
West Seattle Democratic Women